Saturday, February 21, 2009

New plans for the garden this year.....Square Foot Gardening

I'm very excited about the garden this year. Planning on doing something totally new with it. It's called Square Foot Gardening! I'm planning to have three boxes, all 4' x 12'.

What is SFG:

Square Foot Gardening is a uniquely simplified method of gardening that produces 100% of the harvest in only 20% of the space -- AND -- without all the hard work and drudgery of single row gardening.

I also plan to grow strawberries this year too....again something new for me! I am going to build two strawberry pyramids that will each be 31 inches in total. Each pyramid will hold approximately 50 plants, so I will have 100 plants in total. Here is a picture of the pyramid I am going to build. Yummy Strawberries! Mmmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm

I can't wait until next month so I can start working on all of this new stuff....soooo exciting!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy Strawberries..

Then you can make more jam.. Is it going to be a 4-H project for the girls or just mom's project? Sounds fun. We've had a big garden and it's alot of work...

Carol said...

I'm anxiously waiting for spring too!!!!!

It's so frustrating to not be able to see my pony when the stupid snow keeps falling or it (feels like) -40 degrees outside!!

I'm glad to hear that Danny boy is doing great and looking forward to seeing more pics of him!!

I left an award for you over on my blog, so when you have a few minutes please check it out!

dinzie said...

really like the strawberry pyramid idea ....will have to try that for our next seasons plantings...

D